“AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code – Steel.” This code is a set of standards and requirements for the fabrication and erection of welded steel structures. It provides guidelines for various aspects of welding, including design, welding procedure qualification, fabrication, inspection, and more. Here is a brief summary of each clause mentioned:
Scope of AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- General Requirements: This clause outlines the scope of the code and the responsibilities of parties involved in steel fabrication. It emphasizes that when this code is specified in contract documents, compliance is required except for modifications or exemptions specified in the contract.
- Normative References: This clause lists reference documents that are helpful in implementing the code or are required for its implementation. These references provide additional information and standards.
- Terms and Definitions: This clause defines key terms and concepts used throughout the code, ensuring common understanding among stakeholders.
- Design of Welded Connections: This clause specifies the requirements for designing welded connections, whether they involve tubular or non-tubular product form members.
- Prequalification of WPSs: This clause outlines the requirements for prequalifying Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS) to exempt them from certain qualification requirements of the code.
- Qualification: This clause contains requirements for the qualification of WPS and the performance qualification tests that must be passed by welding personnel, including welders, welding operators, and tack welders, to perform welding in accordance with this code.
- Fabrication: This clause covers general fabrication and erection requirements for welded steel structures. It addresses base metals, welding consumables, welding techniques, welded details, material preparation, assembly, workmanship, weld repair, and other related requirements.
- Inspection: This clause provides criteria for the qualifications and responsibilities of inspectors, acceptance criteria for production welds, and standard procedures for performing visual inspection and nondestructive testing (NDT).
- Stud Welding: This clause specifies the requirements for welding studs to structural steel members.
- Tubular Structures: This clause contains specific requirements related to tubular structures. However, it notes that the requirements from other clauses also apply to tubular structures unless otherwise stated.
- Strengthening and Repair of Existing Structures: This clause provides information related to the welding modification or repair of existing steel structures, outlining some basic considerations for such work.
The AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code – Steel is an important standard for ensuring the quality and safety of welded steel structures in various applications. It provides a comprehensive set of guidelines and requirements to be followed by those involved in steel fabrication and welding.