The passage you provided appears to be an excerpt from the DNV GL ISO 9001 standard documentation. ISO 9001 is an internationally recognized quality management system standard. DNV GL, now known as DNV, is a certification and assurance company that provides certification services for organizations seeking to comply with ISO standards, including ISO 9001.
Scope and Purpose
In this excerpt, the standard outlines its scope and purpose. Here’s a breakdown of what it signifies:
- Scope of the Standard: The standard is intended to define the scope of its application, clarifying what it is designed for and what it encompasses. In this case, it is meant to address quality management systems.
- Purpose: The primary purpose of the standard is to establish the requirements for a quality management system (QMS). A QMS is a framework that helps organizations manage and improve the quality of their products or services.
- Supporting Product or Service Delivery: The QMS is not an end in itself but serves as a means to support the delivery of products or services. It helps organizations ensure that their products or services meet defined quality standards.
- Effective and Continual Improvement: The QMS should be designed and implemented to be effective. This means it should help the organization achieve its quality objectives. Additionally, it should encourage continual improvement, implying that the organization should constantly seek ways to enhance its systems and processes.
- Conformity to Customer and Legal Requirements: The QMS should assure conformity to customer requirements, ensuring that products or services meet customer expectations. Furthermore, it should ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements, including laws and regulations relevant to the organization’s industry or location.
- Enhancing Customer Satisfaction: Ultimately, the QMS’s goal is to enhance customer satisfaction. By consistently meeting customer requirements and improving processes, organizations can build strong customer relationships and loyalty.
In summary, this passage provides an overview of the DNV GL ISO 9001 standard’s scope and objectives, emphasizing the importance of effective quality management systems that lead to customer satisfaction, compliance with legal requirements, and continual improvement in product or service delivery. Organizations seeking ISO 9001 certification typically adopt these principles to enhance their quality management practices.